The mission of the International Society for Concrete Pavements (ISCP) is to facilitate the advancement of knowledge and technology related to concrete pavements through education, technology transfer and research at an international level.
The International Society for Concrete Pavements (ISCP) was first conceived following the November 1997 Purdue Conference. The first organizational meeting of the ISCP was held during the Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) in Washington, D.C. in January 1998. During this meeting, a steering committee was formed to further develop a formal framework for the Society.
A second meeting was held during TRB in January of 1999. Officers and Directors were nominated to serve for calendar year 1999 (a one-year term) as follows:
- President: Dr. Ernest J. Barenberg (Professor Emeritus, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, USA)
- Secretary: Dr. Shiraz D. Tayabji (Regional Manager, Construction Technology Laboratories, Inc., Ellicott City, Maryland, USA)
- Directors included representatives from government agencies, academia, contractors, and consulting engineers.
The draft constitution and by-laws were reviewed at this meeting. The Society was incorporated in Maryland as a nonprofit corporation in May 1999.
At the October 27, 1999 meeting of the ISCP Board of Directors, the Board:
- Adopted the Constitution and By-Laws
- Nominated Officers of ISCP for the next term (beginning January 2000), to be balloted to members in December 1999.
- Approved the planning for the International Conference on Concrete Pavements (tentatively scheduled for September 2001 in Orlando, Florida) to carry on the tradition of the Purdue Conferences.
- Appointed the following committees:
- Conference Steering
- Committee Membership and Funds Committee Financial
- Oversight Committee
- Discussed the establishment of a website for ISCP, a permanent Secretariat, a formal forum for international networking on concrete pavement issues, and a magazine/journal for ISCP.
Based on the results of the December 1999 ballot, the following officers were elected to serve from January 1, 2000 until the conclusion of the 7th International Conference on Concrete Pavements (in September, 2001):
- President: Bob Betsold (President, Innovative Pavement Research Foundation, Washington, DC, USA)
- Vice-President: Dr. Shiraz D. Tayabji (Regional Manager, Construction Technology Laboratories, Inc., Ellicott City, Maryland, USA)
- Secretary: Dr. Dan Zollinger (Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA)
- Treasurer: Ted Neff (President, Peak Management Associates, LLC, St. Charles, IL, USA)
- Board of Directors (13):
- James Cable (Iowa State University, USA)
- Jean-Pierre Christory (LROP, France)
- Juan Pablo Covarrubias (ICH, Chile)
- Stephen Forster (FHWA, USA)
- Kenneth W. Fults (Texas DOT, USA)
- Fred Hejl (TRB, USA)
- Tom Kazmierowski (Ontario Ministry of Transportation, Canada)
- Gerry Krozel (Prairie Material Sales, USA)
- Andre Molenaar (Delft University, Netherlands)
- David Pittman (US Army Corps of Engineers, USA)
- John Pontarollo (Dufferin Custom Concrete Group, Canada)
- John Potter (TRL, U.K.)
- Gordon Smith (Iowa Concrete Paving Association, USA)