Board Member (Term Expires in 2019)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, 1995
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, 1982
- Research related to materials aspects of concrete technology. Current and recent projects include:
- Concrete Pavement Mixture Design and Analysis. TPF Pooled Fund and Federal Highways Administration Cooperative Agreement.
- Optimizing Concrete Mixtures for Performance and Sustainability. Federal Highways Administration Cooperative Agreement.
- Investigation of Deterioration of Joints in Concrete Pavements. TPF Pooled Fund and Federal Highways Administration Cooperative Agreement.
- Tests or Standards to Identify Compatible Combinations of Individually Acceptable Concrete Materials, Federal Highway Administration, (CPTP Task 4), Cooperative Agreement No. DTFH61-03-X-00102.
- Improved Specifications and Protocols for Acceptance Tests on Processing Additions in Cement Manufacturing, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Project No. 18-11.
- Development of innovative test methods for concrete mixture quality assurance.
- Development and presentation of training modules about concrete materials for engineers involved in building concrete pavements. Modules are presented around the US and overseas.
- Development of technical publications about concrete paving materials and cementitious systems for FHWA, ISU and PCA.
- Research and consulting for optimizing concrete durability for pavements and structures. This work includes assessment and application of innovative test methods.
- New product and materials assessment, including non-standard supplementary cementing materials.
- Troubleshooting and problem solving on a variety of construction projects, both in the field and the laboratory.
- Materials related specialty consulting to design engineers, owners, contractors, ready mix suppliers, and materials manufacturers.
- Manage the Materials Consulting Group at CTLGroup, a diverse team of thirteen high-level engineers and scientists providing research and consulting services to the concrete construction and cement manufacturing industries.